About Transport Safety Victoria
Transport Safety Victoria (TSV) is Victoria's integrated safety regulator for bus, maritime and rail transport.
It is headed by the Director, Transport Safety (Safety Director) whose statutory object is to independently seek the highest transport safety standards that are reasonably practicable, consistent with the transport system's vision and objectives under the Transport Integration Act 2010 (Vic).
This is achieved through administering bus, maritime and rail safety legislation that promotes transport safety outcomes in Victoria.
Our core functions
As Victoria's transport safety regulator, TSV:
- licences, registers and accredits operators and other industry participants
- monitors the transport industry's and participants' systems for managing safety risks
- monitors compliance with transport safety legislation
- takes enforcement action as appropriate to promote safety outcomes in Victoria.
- investigates and reports on transport safety matters
- provides advice and recommendations to the Minister for Ports and the Minister for Public Transport on transport safety issues
- promotes awareness, and informs and educates on transport safety issues, including through practical guidance and training
- collects, analyses and reports on safety data and safety science
- develops policy relating to the administration of transport safety legislation
- represents Victoria in national reform issues, including the Council of Australian Government's national rail safety and maritime safety regulation agendas, and
- maintains constructive relationships with stakeholders in government, industry and the wider community on transport safety issues.
While the Safety Director may advise and make recommendations to the Minister for Ports and the Minister for Public Transport, the independence of the office is protected under the Transport Integration Act. This means that the Safety Director is not subject to the direction or control of the Ministers when exercising statutory functions or powers.
Transport system policy framework
TSV works within the transport system policy framework that applies to the whole of the transport portfolio under the Transport Integration Act. TSV's safety regulation plays a key part in achieving the transport system's vision of 'having an integrated and sustainable transport system that contributes in Victoria'.
As a transport safety agency under the portfolio, TSV also considers the objectives and decision-making principles required under the Transport Integration Act when making decisions or exercising powers and functions.