- Commercial maritime
- Recreational maritime
- Acts & Regulations
- Incidents & investigations
- Publications & forms
Recreational Boating Safety Handbook
The Victorian Recreational Boating Safety handbook contains guidance and safety information for recreational boaters. It is a valuable reference if you are applying for a marine licence or a personal watercraft endorsement.
The complete handbook is available to download from this page in PDF or Word format. It is also available in sections to ease download times.
- Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook (PDF, 4.6 MB, 156 pp.)
- Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook (DOC, 773.0 KB, 111 pp.)
Download in sections:
- Introduction and Chapter 1 - Safety duties (PDF, 916 KB, 16 pp.)
- Chapter 2 - Licensing and registration (PDF, 345 KB, 26 pp.)
- Chapter 3 - Vessel preparation (PDF, 708 KB,13 pp.)
- Chapter 4 - Safety equipment (PDF, 1.11 MB, 23 pp.)
- Chapter 5 - Trip preparation (PDF, 504 KB, 8 pp.)
- Chapter 6 - Safe operations (PDF, 606 KB, 11 pp.)
- Chapter 7 - Towed watersports (PDF, 658 KB, 4 pp.)
- Chapter 8 - Personal watercraft (PWC) (PDF, 400 KB, 6 pp.)
- Chapter 9 - Operating rules (PDF, 1.61 MB, 19 pp.)
- Chapter 10 - Aids to navigation (PDF, 488 KB, 9 pp.)
- Chapter 11 - Vessel lights, say shapes and sound signals (PDF, 564 KB, 9 pp.)
- Chapter 12 and Contacts and Links - emergency procedures (PDF, 874 MB, 16 pp.)
Please contact us if you have trouble downloading the documents or if you have any specific accessibility requirements.
Information to help you study for marine licence test, plus general boating safety advice, is available on our website.